Archdiocese of Portland, Oregon (Oregon City)

Established July 24, 1846

The first Catholic church in Oregon, St. Paul's on the Wilamette River, was dedicated in 1839. Seven years later the Archdiocese of Oregon City was formed, encompassing the states of Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. Its first bishop was Francois Blanchet. The see was transferred to nearby Portland in 1928.


Archdiocese of Portland * Catholic Encyclopedia