The first parish church of St. Louis, the principal church of the French colony of Louisiana, was dedicated in 1727. In 1788, a fire that destroyed half the city took the church as well. Spain was in control at that time, and a Spanish official, Andres Almonester, provided the funds for rebuilding. The present cathedral is substantially that church. Among the highlights in its storied history, General Andrew Jackson came here to join in a Te Deum of thanksgiving following the 1815 Battle of New Orleans.