The Catholic faith was introduced into southern California by the friars led by Fr. Junípero Serra in the eighteenth century. Joseph Sadoc Alemany, OP, was the first bishop of Monterey; he resided at Mission Santa Barbara. Bishop Thaddeus Amat moved to Los Angeles in 1859. In 1922, the Diocese of Monterey was separated to the north and the see became the Diocese of Los Angeles-San Diego. When the see was raised to an archbishopric in 1936, it was again divided, separating San Diego to the south.