The CHA had its origins in a meeting of fourteen religious sisters at St. Mary's Hospital, Minneapolis, convened by Fr. Charlers Moulinier, SJ, of the Marquette University School of Medicine. With Mother Esperance Finn, CSJ, Sr. Madeleine Lyons, CSJ, Sr. Leo Carroll, CSJ, Sr. Leocadia Hayes, CSJ, and the others, the group decided to form an association to support and standardize Catholic health care. The first convention was held in June, 1915. The organization was later renamed the Catholic Health Association.